Years ago, when I was around 12 years old, I knew what I thought was the "truth" about Santa. I was excited for the Christmas season, but also a little apprehensive because I knew that my parents didn't have a lot of money & that Christmas this year would be a little tight.
We were living in Iona, Idaho at the time & my parents made sure that we were feeling the true meaning of Christmas. We served others, spent time as a family, went to piano recitals to listen to easy-played Christmas music, had Family Home Evening, & tried to keep the normal traditions. I remember as always, singing songs like "Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" as all 9 of us drove around in our blue mini van in our little city. Even now as I hear these songs, it reminds me of being a kid & the closeness of our family.
This one particular year, I could tell that my parents were somewhat stressed with the holiday season. As much as they tried to keep the season happy & joyous, they were still nervous about what our reactions would be come Christmas morning when there is little under the tree.
On Christmas Eve we were all at home when there was a knock at the door. As someone opened the door, there stood Santa Claus himself- coming for an early visit to see our family. He walked in carrying bags of presents. Even now, it brings tears to my eyes as I think of this kind gentleman who chose to bring light to our family & spend Christmas Eve with us. He pulled out present after present out of his bags for each of us. I remember each of us watching in awe at the number of gifts that soon began to fill our living room. Santa then came and sat on a chair and one by one we each went and sat on his lap. After each one of us had a turn, I remember him looking at my Mom & telling her it was her turn. She said it was okay, that she didn't need a turn & he told her that everyone needed to tell Santa Claus what they wanted for Christmas. I'm sure that my Mom said that she had everything that she needed & that what else could she possibly need when she had the happiness of her family & a stranger bringing joy? However, I watched as she went and sat on his lap & with tears in her eyes talked to him. Then it was my Dad's turn. :) As I tried to smile as I watched both of my parents on Santa's lap, I couldn't hold back the tears myself as I realized how much they were sacrificing for our family, and how much this special visit meant to them- other than just the gifts.
Santa Claus stayed for while & when it was time to go, we all thanked him with smiles on each of our faces. He wished us a Merry Christmas & then he was gone. A couple of seconds after he left, my Dad went out to see if he could see his sleigh (or a car) leaving. To my Dad's surprise, he couldn't see anyone or any trace of our Santa. I have even asked my parents a couple of times since then if they knew who Santa really was. My Mom said they honestly never knew- he was Santa. Years went by & when people would say, "There's NO Santa" I knew they were wrong. He had come to my house in the spirit of giving & love. He sacrificed his night to be with our family & brought peace & joy. And so, since then & for always... I believe!




3 comments:
I LOVE this post!!! I seriously think you need to send this into the Ensign for next Christmas!! What a beautiful and sweet Christmas memory!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this.
I too love this post. It's so beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing this. What a great memory for you to have. It's one of the most memorable memories you have I am sure. The true meaning. Love ya.
Wow Melissa. That brought me chills. Thank You for sharing that. We miss seeing your sweet family.
Post a Comment