Nut Family

Monday, December 13, 2010

Elder Robert D. Hales


Yesterday we had a special stake conference where Elder Robert D. Hales was invited to come & speak along with our stake president, an area authority, & the Provo Temple president (Pres. Daines) and his wife. We were able to have a nice view & the kids did really well. However, by the end of the first hour, Hallie had had enough of the meeting & was being loud. I took her out into the hallway & walked the halls with her and tried to listen. At one point I took her into the mothers lounge hoping I could hear some of Elder Hales' talk. We sat down and Hallie looked at the mother sitting next to me and said, "Mommy- that your friend?" I said, "Yes" She then said, "Mommy, your friend name Missa?" (Melissa) "No Hallie, her name isn't Melissa, I don't know what her name is." Morgan, Jackson, & Landon all sat really well through the conference. Hallie was good, but then her curiosity came out & she was BUSY! Finally, once I heard the choir start to sing we came back in. Hallie found her own way back and when she saw me a couple of minutes later she said, "I beat you Mom!" :) Funny girl!
Well, I debated writing this on here, because it was a special spiritual experience for our family. However, I feel that the main reason why I do a blog is to keep a history or journal for my family. This is something I always want our family to remember & to be a part of their testimony-
When the conference was over, Brian & I gathered all of the books, crayons, garbage etc. on our row and got the kids ready to go. We both looked up and saw the majority of the congregation leave & then we both watched Elder Hales as he went to people to shake their hands. Brian was able to talk to him for a minute in the foyer when he first got there, but he really wanted the kids to meet him. So, we decided to go and see if we could all meet him. I don't want to forget the feeling of love & the strength of the spirit that came as I watched friends & ward members of mine line the aisle to shake his hand. I saw one man in my ward who I admire & I thought- "I hope he gets to shake his hand." I saw his wife behind him, who is also a dear friend- who had stepped back so her husband could shake his hand. I saw another dear family who has done so much for our family, and I thought- "I hope their boys get to shake his hand, and feel of his spirit- they are old enough they will always remember this, and they are such good boys!" I saw other families from our ward & watched as they shook his hand & could feel of the love and strength from being around him. It was then our turn- I had tears in my eyes, which I was trying to hold back, as he came and shook each of our kids hands. (well, he just patted Landon who was asleep) Jackson looked so handsome in his suit & Morgan & Hallie looked beautiful. As he stopped to shake Hallie's hand, instead of Hallie holding our her right hand to shake his, she held out her left & set it on his hand. She smiled at him as though she was a beautiful princess- unlike the crazy 2 year old she had been for the past hour. As I watched his look when he looked at Hallie, I noticed it was different. He paused for a minute, smiled at her & gave her a look that she & her generation were the strength of the future & that she would do great things. I could feel the spirit so strongly as he shook my hand. I thought of how he gave Hallie a look that she was so special, and even though, she had been testing my patience, he loved her just as the Savior himself would. When we got home, I told Jackson & Morgan that they felt warm in their hearts because that was the Holy Ghost telling them that Elder Hales was an apostle of Jesus Christ. I also told them that I always wanted them to remember this day & how warm they felt. Meeting Elder Hales was even better then meeting Santa. :)
Elder Hales gave a wonderful talk & I am grateful for the example he is of loving his family. He told us to tell our family we love them, and then to tell them again. I am so grateful for the blessing it was to gain an even stronger testimony that these men, the 12 apostles, are chosen to represent the Lord Jesus Christ. Each one of them are so powerful in their own way. I am grateful for the confirmation of the spirit to know that when the Savior comes again, that the feeling will be even stronger. I can't wait for that day when not only will I be able to shake the Savior's hand, but to embrace him. What a glorious day that will be!!!
I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ ( www.mormon.org ) that is on the earth today.

3 comments:

canihavethisdance said...

It was fun celebrating Landon's birthday. I can't believe how fast the year went. Thanks for sharing the sweet experience from Stake Conference. We think we have some pretty cute grandkids!

Calee said...

Thanks for posting this, I loved what Elder Hales said about loving our families too!

The Heaton's said...

What a wonderful experience for our families! He is amazing! Something they will always remember!