
On Sunday night (the 6th) at about 11:00 I started having some light contractions in my back. I figured they were just Braxton hicks since I have had some the last month. I went to sleep until 3:00 and then they were strong enough that I couldn't really sleep. They weren't really painful, just felt kind of uncomfortable. I was awake from 3:00-5:30 and then Hallie & Brian woke up. Brian got ready to go to work and I told him I felt we should call the doctor just to make sure. The doctor said they were contractions and to come in if they got any closer than 10 minutes apart and to come into the hospital to be checked. I had always had contractions in my stomach, not my back, so this was all new to me. We packed the kids up to stay at my parents, waited for Morgan to get out of school, and then ran some errands. We dropped the kids off at my parents around 11:30 and got to the hospital around 12:00. We checked in like it was a hotel & they soon strapped me to the bed to monitor me & check me. I was only a 1 and only 70% effaced so my chances of staying didn't look too good unless I moved quickly along within the next hour. We stayed for a little while and then after checking me again, the nurse called the doctor who said I could go home. I was honestly fine with it either way. I had a lot of things to get done & keep me occupied for the week, and Brian had a lot to do at work as well as get overtime hours before the baby was born. We also planned on going to In 'n' Out for lunch. The nurse came back in after I was dressed and said, "The baby's heart rate dropped a little bit and the doctor wants to see it before we send you home, so just wait and eat some cookies & juice while you wait." She left for about 1/2 hour and came back and said, " You're staying!" The baby's heart beat was fine, but the doctor didn't want to put the baby in any stress and felt that it would be safer to go ahead and induce me and monitor the baby. They soon induced me & we waited and waited and waited for my body to do something. They gave me an epidural when I was a 2. I looked at the guy giving me the epidural (I can't spell what their called) like he was my best friend. He was here to relieve me of any pain I would feel the rest of the time. I didn't know he would soon turn into my enemy (just kidding) :) He gave me the epidural which hurt of course because of the big needle, but somehow he managed to get it in a blood vessel causing my left leg to feel as though it had been electrocuted 3 times throughout my leg. The epidural was in wrong and so he had to break the news to me that he needed to do it again, only this time he forgot to mention that a needle would be going in my back or that I would feel a poke. It completly caught me off guard, and hurt so bad! I think due to the lack of sleep & food and the pain I started to cry. He said, "oh, did I make you cry?" Poor Brian just had to hold my hands and watch as the guy tried to make things better. Once again the electric pain shot through only this time in my right leg and twice. I was definatly done with this doctor! (Sorry about so much detail, but hey, this is for Landon's sake) :) I felt much better after the doctor was done and I could relax and the epidural worked wonderful! Finally after being at a 2-3 all afternoon I got to a 5 around 12:00. Brian had fallen asleep from exhaustion and looked so comfortable on the couch with his head on the armrest and his long legs hanging over the edge, but I was glad he was able to sleep some. I told the nurses that once I got to 5 I would quickly get to a 10. Sure enough by 12:30 - 12:45 I was at a 10. I pushed for 14 minutes & Landon came out. The delivering doctor is wonderful!!!!! He is the same one that delivered Hallie is Brian and I both really like him. Landon was born at 1:03 weighing 6 lbs. 14 oz. and 21 inches long. He was our smallest, but longest baby. He is so much like Brian! He has his eyes, body, hands, & feet, and I love it! I am so grateful that all went well and that he is so healthy. He is such a sweet little guy and has a sweet peaceful personality, much like his Daddy. I am so glad he is here.


3 comments:
Congratulations!! He is beautiful and so are you. I know just what you mean about that electrocuted feeling in your leg. That happened to me when I had the epidural before my c-section. Weirdest thing ever! I'm glad it all turned out well. Enjoy that sweet baby!
What an experience! Glad everything turned out well! What a little treasure!
Congratulations, Melissa!!! What a cutie!
Post a Comment