Yesterday, Brian's good friend Marcos from work passed away in a drowning accident. It was the last thing that Brian expected to hear when Marcos' brother called him last night to tell him. Marcos was only 22 years old, but had lived life to the fullest. My heart is full as I think about his family & also Brian, and how he has lost a good friend for now. Brian & Marcos worked together daily & got along great. Marcos was living here with his brothers (who also work with Brian). They are all from El Salvador & have lived here for the past couple of years to earn money for their families back home & live the American Dream. Two years ago, their father died (while living here) & left behind 5 sons (here) and a wife and daughter in El Salvador. I can't imagine the pain the mother must have gone through to hear word that her husband had passed away, and now her son. She must wonder what is so great about the American Dream, when her family is dying here. I believe that their family came here to learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Brian & Marcos had many talks about life after this, and how they would see their father again. Brian was able to be more than a good friend, he was a missionary. He was able to share the gospel with Marcos, who was more open than any of the other brothers. Brian was able to share his testimony about Eternal Families, standards, & a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to be together with our families. Brian said that Marcos was always smiling & such a happy guy. He told Brian to not be so serious and smile more so he wouldn't get old too fast. :) Marcos had the biggest desire to learn English. He and Brian set up a schedule that on Mon,Wed, and Fri they would speak Spanish with each other. On Tues & Thurs, they would only speak English. Marcos would come in almost daily and ask Brian what different words meant, and how to correctly pronounce them. Yesterday he came to work and happily said to Brian, "Is today English day?" Brian told him it was Spanish day, but if he wanted to switch it they could. Marcos then said, "Let's speak Spanish, it's easier" :) Brian looked forward to talking to Marcos daily. He was so excited to go & take the picture of Jackson & him on the boat with the big fish, along with some jalapenos from our garden because he knew how much Marcos would appreciate them. I had the privelage of meeting him once, and he was such a happy guy and I could tell he and Brian had a special bond. When Jackson broke his leg, Marcos wanted to come and visit him. He was such a happy guy, and will be greatly missed, especially by Brian.Yesterday the sun set for Marcos. His time on earth is complete, and today he woke to a sunrise in a different & better place. Last night we talked about how Marcos will no longer have to build doors, get dirty, or pay bills, but can now rest from all of his earthy labors. Marcos had such a strong desire to learn. I told Brian that now, instead of Marcos learning English, he will take the missionary discussions & learn more about that gospel. Brian helped plant the seed of the gospel in his heart, and because of Brian's example and who he is, I'm sure that Marcos will be happy to learn more about the gospel on the other side. So for now, we say goodbye, but how grateful Brian & I both are for the gospel... to KNOW that there is life after this, that we will see our loved ones again, & what a happy reunion that will be. I think about the Savior at this time, and how the Son set for a time, and then 3 days later the Son rose again. I am so grateful that because of Him we can move on with faith in our Savior, knowing that this life does not end in darkness, but in light.





7 comments:
I am so sorry for the loss brian's friend. That is hard, but like you said, we are blessed to have the knowledge of knowing that their is life after death! Thank you for you beautiful words that you wrote. It touched my heart.
I am crying and I didn't even know him! I think it hit close to home because the lake he drown in is just a few blocks from our home, and I could not believe when I heard it last night on the news. I had told my husband it was such a shame because the lake is not very big. Tell Brian sorry he sounded like a wonderful guy!
I'm sorry Brian lost a friend. I've come to realize recently how fragile and precious life is. Love ya!
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Brian's friend and co-worker. I watched it on the news last night. Life is so fragile. We are so blessed to have the gospel and the knowledge we do! Our prayers are with Brian and this mans family.
That was such a shock. We were on our way to Chuck-E-Cheese, and it felt so wierd going into this happy place when Marcos had just died. Ben said the same things about Marcos that Brian did...that he was so happy, trustworthy, and eager to learn. We will miss him, but he was such a good person and we know where he is.
What a beautiful post and great tribute to Marcos. I was just trying to decide what I could post as a tribute and goodbye for now to Marcos, but you said it perfectly and mine will pale in comparison! Thank you!!
Wait that sounded bad...it really was a THANK YOU!!! :-) You're amazing and it was good to see you and your cute family! See you friday!
Post a Comment