Morgan was so excited to start kindergarten today. She has met the teacher, and even got to talk with Mrs. Hyer a little bit more the other night at Grandpa's 50th birthday party. (Mrs. Hyer lives in my parents ward & is good friends with them-ironically, my kindergarten teacher also lived in my grandparents ward) Anyway, she woke up early this morning, got dressed, & added stickers to her chart (something we started to make the morning routine go smoothly) & was all set to get her picture taken out front.
Morgan was so anxious & happy at the school. I could tell she was excited to start school, and this is the same school that Daddy went to kindergarten & all of elementary when he was little. So we walked into the school and went to her class.
After finding her spot at the table, I took one more sweet little picture & I then I said I would be back in a little bit to pick her up. At this point, the tears came... nope, not me... HER! Morgan reacted completly different than how I thought she would. I thought she would be happy, quickly say goodbye, & then color and start talking. Boy was I wrong! I looked over and saw these big crocodile tears forming and her clinging to me saying, "Mommy, please don't go!" I tried to reassure her that everything would be fine, and that Mrs. Hyer would take good care of her. This helped a little, but she still would not let me go. At one point when she was distracted I tried to sneak out of the room. Right when I reached the door, she saw me and came running, while sobbing to me. Now, I had always thought that you just leave them, and they'll be fine, but that is much easier said than done, especially when you're trying to reason with a 5 year old. So Mrs. Hyer said I could stay until they moved to the carpet for a story. I tried to figure out how to leave in the short amount of time without causing any more drama. Morgan kept quietly crying as she colored, checking back every 2 minutes to make sure I was still there. I felt so bad for her. Here she was in a new place with kids she had never met, other than 2 in our neighborhood, and I was just leaving her. My eyes kind of watered because I knew she was hurting, nervous, and afraid, but I knew that she needed to stay & that everything would be fine. I tried to think about other things so she wouldn't see my eyes watering, I'm sure Mrs. Hyer did not want 2 Nuttall girls crying in her class. :) I decided to start quietly talking to the kids at the table, and make new friends. Wow, they had a lot to say. A girl at another table informed Mrs. Hyer (as they were building little families with little people) that she didn't have a Dad anymore because her mom didn't want to live with him. Mrs. Hyer was very sweet and said, "well that's okay" then at Morgan's little table I asked the kids how many people they had their families. One little boy said, "We have 10, but that's because we have grandma's & grandpa's!" I said "wow, that's a lot of people." He then said, "Yeah, but my grandma is always smacking my grandpa." I said, "Oh, that's not good." He replied, "It's because he's always pooping his pants!" I tried not to laugh. Mrs. Hyer must have a whole book of funny things kids say. So after about 15 minutes, I tried to leave, and finally came to bribery. I told Morgan after school we could go and get icecream- that didn't work, I told her we could go and pick out some new underwear for her (I figured since she is 5 now she we should get her a bigger size than the 2T-3T, and she is actually excited to pick it out)-that didn't work either, so I finally said, "Morgan, I need to go home and check on Hallie" to which she agreed as long as "I promised to come back & pick her up" with one final big hug, I left and went back to pick her up 1 hour and 45 minutes later. (On Wednesdays they get out earlier) She was sitting by her neighborhood friends & as happy as could be. She had so much fun at kindergarten, and can't wait to go back tomorrow. Thank goodness! What a dramatic morning. :)




5 comments:
That was quite the first day experience! I had to laugh at the stories from the other kids:)! I am sure teachers hear all sorts of family secrets;). Morgan looked so cute! Kindergarten is a big step with it being an unfamiliar place with new faces. Good luck tomorrow!
Melissa,
I'm so sorry it was such a traumatic experience! How awful! Did today go better? You've gotta love how honest kids are about their families. I know Ian's told some doozies!
I hope that things are going better now. That first day is always full of a lot of emotions. Hopefully she has made some friends to make going to school fun. She sure looks cute though.
That story about the Grandma and Grandpa is about the funniest I've heard so far! I'm sure in a week Morgan will be Miss Popularity and loving school :) She is such a cute little girl.
I can hardly believe you are old enough to be sending a child off to kindergarten! Wasn't it yesterday when you had me singing at the moon at girls camp?
It was do great to see you at the wedding reception, thank you so much for coming. You made it feel like home!
Love Sister El Manno
Post a Comment