Nut Family

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jackson's 2nd Broken Leg

Yes... another broken leg. Maybe I should start a photo album of all of the kids broken legs. :) Yesterday Brian took Morgan & Jackson to their friends birthday party. I needed to work on some stuff at home and run some errands, so Hallie and I stayed home. The 3 of them had a blast at the party, (which happened to be a slip-n-slide like the one we do in the past.) They loved playing in the water & Jackson's favorite part was having Spiderman cupcakes which included a Spiderman ring. They were all cleaning up the tarps, and Jackson was playing with all the kids at the bottom on the last tarp which was full of water. Somehow, he slipped on the water and fell down weird on his leg. Brian ran down & scooped him up and then Ben (our good friend) carried Jackson to the van. After Brian had cleaned up all the towels, etc. he & Ben gave Jackson a blessing. Brian then took Jackson & Morgan to the ER, which happened to only be 2 minutes away. The leg is broken in 2 places. The Tibia & the Fibula (the front and back bones of the lower leg) It was really swollen, and because of the cry and the way it looked Brian knew right away it was a break. Hallie & I got to the hospital & the nurses & doctors were so nice to Jackson & all of us. They gave Jackson a blue bear, stickers, and suckers, & of course medicine.
Jackson broke is right leg in the same place last summer, ironically a couple of days before we went to Fish Lake. (We're going to Fish Lake this weekend) We are grateful that it isn't worse, and that it happened towards the end of the summer & not the beginning. Brian, Morgan, & Jackson all have something called Osteo-genesis Imperfecta (Brittle Bones) which runs in Brian's family. Our kids have a very mild case. (yes even Morgan breaking 4 bones in a year is mild) & we are so grateful for that. Morgan & Jackson can do everything else, except most sports, & jumping on the trampoline. Hallie does not have it. (It's a 50/50 chance of which of our kids will have it) We can tell she doesn't have it because her bones are a little bit bigger & the sclera (white part of our eyes) is white, where as Morgan, Jackson, & Brian's is all a really light blue (which is one of the main signs.) Santa Claus mentioned that he wanted to get the kids bikes for Christmas, but even that makes me nervous. However, I don't want the kids to live in a bubble & never learn how to do anything because of fear. The broken bones are hard, but we are so thankful that there isn't something worse, and that it heals in 6 weeks. So we keep on living, when the breaks come, we have LOTS of quiet sit down activities. :)
Jackson has been such a little trooper. He kept showing me his spider man ring over and over. Last night he laid in our bed with Brian and I slept in his bed. In morning when he woke up and could hear me talking to Brian in his bed he said, "Mom, I want cheetos & I want a hug!" Then when I didn't come right away he said again 2 more times, "Mom! I want a hug!" Morgan was really sweet & picked out a coloring book for him. When I gave him the tray for breakfast Morgan said, "Hey, I remember when I used that tray" Jackson said, "Yeah, and I took good care of you, and now you are taking good care of me." They are so good & sweet to each other. I am so grateful for Brian & the great Dad he is and how he takes care of our family. I am so grateful to both him & Ben for being worthy to give Jackson a blessing when he needed one most. Brian does everything for all of us, and makes life much easier.
Here's the leg before the cast. They put a splint on it to keep in stable, and then he'll probably get a cast on Wed. or Thursday. He wants blue of course. :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Melanie said...

What an eventful Saturday you had. I am sorry that he broke his leg. If you need anything let me know.

Ben and Darci said...

Well I guess Jackson will never forget Riley's birthday party. Hopefully he'll just remember having fun, but we feel so bad that this happened to him. He is such a sweet little guy. We love you guys and my Mom just thinks Brian is one of THE greatest and nicest people and I was telling her all about you guys and she thinks you are such a great family, and we think so too! Congratulations on your next little addition. You are right, he will bring joy and peace to your family and those around you :) By the way, the toy you gave Riley is his favorite.

jen said...

wow! That's a bummer. I hope he feels better soon! Good luck to you taking care of him. Love ya

Lynette said...

Poor baby! Anything broken hurts or at least mine hurt bad! Our prayers are with you guys. Congrats on the new baby boy!