Nut Family

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all of you women out there. I found these cute pictures of my mom and mother in law and decided to share them. I just tried to post this nice long post about our moms, but somehow, it wouldn't post, and deleted it instead... so hopefully I can remember what I wrote. :)
On May 31st, my mom became a mom for the first time to me. :) I was a such a cute and wonderful baby, that they decided to have 6 more hoping they would be just like me. :) ha ha ha I never realized how much my mom did for our family until now, as I do the same things for my family. I never realized how many meals she cooked, or the laundry she did, or the school projects, or our hair, or all the cleaning she did. I wish I could go back in time and say "thanks for doing my hair," thanks for coming to my school party" "thanks for driving me to work" "thanks for dinner... it's delicious!" and anything else that I took for granted. My mom amazes me. I wish I would have helped more around the house, I wish I would have offered to cook dinner, or help with the laundry, or clean my room without being asked for the 5th time. My dad used to say when we were younger "you'll never understand until you have kids of your own." I used to hate it when he said that, and would usually roll my eyes, but he was right, I am now beginning to understand how much she did for us. I'm starting to realize how much she sacrificed, especially her own dreams for ours. I am so grateful for my mom. She is "a Mother who knows" ... she taught us the gospel, she taught me how to keep a house clean, how to cook, how to take care of children, and sometimes when she may have felt that no one cared, I cared, and I followed her & learned so much from her. I am so grateful for my mom's example and testimony. She taught me the importance of paying tithing, of being honest, or daily scripture study (personally & as a family), she taught me so many things that I am able to apply in my life now. I am so grateful that I am still able to learn from her. I love her so much, and I'm so grateful she is my mom. She is my best friend. I love you so much!
My 2nd mom is Karen (Brian's mom). She too is "a mother who knows." During Brian's teenage years, he watched him mom go to church, and wanted to go because she was there. He followed her example. I watch all that Karen has gone through, especially as her kids were little and in the hospital for broken bones, or other things, and I look back on the courage and faith that she had to continue on. To me, Karen is one of the greatest examples of enduring to the end, even when times are tough. I am so grateful that almost 7 years ago she welcomed me into her home, and has loved me like a daughter ever since. I am so grateful for how she raised Brian. She did and AMAZING job, and I will always be grateful for her because of who Brian is today. I am so grateful to have her in my life. I love her so much!
Here we are together on Hallie's blessing day. I am so grateful that I am able to be a mom. I know it's a sensitive subject, especially for those who do not have children yet. But I hope you all know how important your role as a woman is. There have been many times when I have been able to help children (that weren't my own) and make a difference in their life. I am so grateful for my 3 beautiful children, and though they test me, and I am getting "minature melissa's & brians" they continually show me what this life is about... family & love. Today Jackson started singing, "lead me guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, teach me all that I must do to live with him someday" I hope that I can teach my kids what I have learned from my mom & karen, to return to our Heavenly Father. I love you all, and wish you a wonderful mother's day!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Ben and Darci said...

Very nice post, Melissa. Happy Mother's Day to one of the most admirable Mother's that I know. And I'm sorry I can't stuff you in my suitcase for the cruise!

Melanie said...

I hope you had a wonderful mother's day. I got on your blog Sat night and realized you had the exact same idea I had, but you did the tribute to mothers first. Thank you for your words about your moms, they helped me look inside myself. It showed me what kind a mother I am continually striving to be. Happy mother's day.

Lisa said...

look at you! your little baby face is the same you have now...so cute! and your mom looks great.

Frampton Family said...

What an inspiring tribute. I hope you had a good Mother's Day.