Nut Family

Thursday, May 22, 2008

6 years ago yesterday...

I can't believe it's been that long... 6 years ago yesterday Brian and I had just been married for 4 months. We had both gone to work on a windy and cold day. Brian didn't want to work because of how cold it was, but his boss said they needed to get the house they were building done. (At the time Brian was working as a framer) At 3:45, Brian called me at work and told me something bad had happened to him, and that he couldn't feel his legs. A wall that they were framing had been picked up by the wind, and when Brian saw it coming towards him, he started to run, but the wall knocked him down. The force was so strong, that it caused both femurs to shoot up through the pelvic area causing both balls in the sockets to be crushed, thus needing immediate surgery. The ambulence took Brian to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, but they felt the job was too hard for them, so he was life flighted to the U of U... meanwhile I was in shock & terrified of what was going on. My parents were in Navoo for meetings & I couldn't get ahold of them, and I have never felt so alone in my entire life. Our really good friends Ben Cook & his wife Darci came to the hospital to give Brian a blessing. I remember my sister coming, and me just sobbing... I had no idea what to expect would happen now. Karen (my mother in law) drove me up to the U of U & we tried to see what would happen. They decided to do surgery the next morning, I don't remember that first night... I didn't sleep or eat, I just cried... in my mind Brian was dying, because to me, I had never been in a hospital, and people only went to the hospital to die. The next morning they did the surgery... 6 hours long... I think the Lord works in mysterious ways. One of my aunts, who I consider most like my dad just happened to be in the area from Texas (i think) to visit her daughter. She was an angel! She dropped everything so she could come and comfort me. She didn't try to tell me what to do, she just hugged me & comforted me & helped pass time during the surgery. 6 hours later the surgery was over, and Brian had done really well through it. The interesting thing is that just before the surgery they took a picture of us together, and gave it to me. Brian thinks it was in case he died, which I honestly don't like to think about. We spent a week at that hospital, and then went back to UVRM for about 5 days, and then we went to live in a nursing home... yep we lived in a nursing home for 6 weeks... as newly weds mind you. ;) We made it our home along with the elderly. ;) Brian improved really well, & got used to watching the Price is Right every morning like the elderly too. :) It was a long summer... but enjoyable because we were able to spend so much time together. I am amazed at how much love our Heavenly Father & Savior have for us. The entire time this was going on, I could feel angels & the Lord around me, and comforting me. One doctor who knows Brian and his family really well, is always amazed each time we have had a child... according to him, we weren't supposed to have kids because of all the trama and radiation to Brian's body... so each child, really is a miracle and a blessing. That time was probably the hardest in my life, but it became our foundation of our relationship, we knew we could conquer anything together. I am so grateful that Brian is alive today & that he can walk & live a normal life. There is the occasional pain or discomfort, & eventually he will need to have a total hip replacement, but overall we have been truly blessed & have been able to continue our life together & with our kids.

11 comments:

Lena said...

Wowzers! That is incredible and I would have totally been panicking too. I'm so glad you were looked after and what blessings your children are!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

Oh Mel that must have been so hard but I'm glad that Brian is doing fine today and it is true, the Lord works in mysterious ways...The pics below are adorable as always!!!

jen said...

I'm so glad Brian is okay too. I am thankful the Lord has blessed us in so many ways.

Kristi said...

I remember that horrible day and time in your life. I got all teary eyed reading that again. I also remember visiting the 2 of you in the nursing home and thinking how incredibly strong and cheerful you both were.I could not have done it. You guys are the best, and I love you both to pieces!!!!

Melanie said...

I remember that day. I had come into work and someone told me the news. My hear went out to you and to Brian. I too was a newleywed and couldn't imagine facing that. You two are amazing and have blessed my life, because of your strength.

canihavethisdance said...

I am so thankful that everything worked out okay. You and Brian are amazing. We know that you both are strong spirits and will be able to endure all that comes your way.

lincolnHabels said...

Melissa, This is Catherine (Starr)Habel from Nebraska. I found your blog yesterday through TK's blog. I guess I'm one of your stalkers. I've just recently discovered the whole blogging thing. Yours is really cute. I like being able to keep up on the old Lincoln gang. Best Wishes, you have a beautiful family! -Catherine

Frampton Family said...

I've got a pit in my stomach now from reading this. And it still brings tears to my eyes thinking of what happened to you two. It's hard at the time to think there is an end to the tunnel. But now, you have 3 beautiful children. And you and Brian have grown so much closer because of it. I still remember how well you handled it Melissa. You always stayed positive through the whole ordeal. It's amazing how trials make us the people we are today isn't it? You continue to amaze me everyday Melissa.

Lisa said...

i remember hearing about that! i just never knew the extent. wow! you guys are a great couple and will be forever because of those trials in the beginning of your marriage. i only wish that i had been there for you! i love you!

The Heaton's said...

WOW!! I have heard the story before but not to that extent! What a great support you are to your family!! I guess you can say that everyday of your lives is a miracle!!
Analice

Chad & Angela Nuttall said...

That is truly amazing! It's always so incredible to see the Lord's hand in our lives!! We love you both!