Nut Family

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons... Time to Make Lemonade

You know that feeling you have when you just feel a little uneasy?
I had that feeling yesterday. Landon had been really clingy & wouldn't
let me leave the room, let alone leave his arms.
So, I sat with him and watched Curious George with Morgan & Hallie
while we waited for Daddy to get home from work.

Jackson had been looking for his missing toy and I told him that if he said a prayer
Heavenly Father would help him find it. I told him to go upstairs to pray where
it was a little bit quieter. I then said a quick prayer that his faith would grow.

I heard him being a boy and bouncing down the hallway
& then I got a nervous feeling. I decided to go and help him look for the
lost toy as soon as I could peel Landon off of me. Just then I heard
a loud thud noise and Jackson crying. I threw Landon off of me as fast
as I could, told Morgan to watch him, & ran up the stairs.

Jackson was at the top of the stairs crying and I then noticed his arm looked
really funny. I couldn't quite tell what I was looking at because it looked like he had 2 elbows.
I wasn't sure if I should call 911, but I knew he needed to go to the hospital.
I sat with him for a minute while I tried to think what the best thing to do was
and then I thought to call our next door Adam to see if he could come & give Jackson
a blessing as soon as Brian got home. I think about it now, and I am so grateful
that a priesthood blessing was my first instinct. I know that it calmed both of us.

Adam & Analice came over (the best neighbors ever!) & Brian pulled
in a couple of minutes later. Adam was so kind to sit with Jackson and
talk about school & get his mind off of his arm, while I got everything ready to go.

Brian & Adam gave Jackson a blessing and Jackson was so calm & tough
the entire night. Analice took the kids for us until my Mom could come over, and
then my Mom & sister put them to bed for us & cleaned up the kitchen.

I sat next to Jackson on the way to the hospital & just held him.
It is interesting to me how much we as mothers love our children,
but when we see them in pain, our love for them grows even stronger
& we want to do anything we can for them to take their pain away.
I am sure that father's feel the same way, especially as I watched
Brian sit with Jackson while they did surgery to place his arm back in order.

Jackson broke his arm in 2 places. We were so grateful for our
doctor, Dr. Jackson, who came straight from a church meeting,
met us there at the hospital, and in his church clothes set Jackson's arm
back in place. He is the best orthepedic surgeon and we are so thankful
for his sacrifice & the wonderful doctor that he is.

We were at the hospital for a couple of hours and then came home. We had
such a nice nurse who filled us in with all the crazy things that happen in the ER.
The bathroom and I got very acquainted with each other as my pregnant
body wanted to make sure the toilet worked okay. :)
Brian was so sweet and stayed by Jackson's side the entire time.
I couldn't because they were using an X-Ray machine during
the surgery and I couldn't be in the room, which I really didn't mind.

Jackson was excited to show Landon his arm & to soon
get a matching cast like Landon. They are such sweet
& patient boys & I love them even more.

Sorry, this is kind of disturbing picture, at least for me
anyway, but, since this is the family journal, it goes in
the book so Jackson can look back on it and see why his
Mom was so freaked out.
(That part that looks like his second elbow is actually the 2 bones
that broke that are sticking out. Mmm ya- those are the reasons I
never wanted to go into medicine. Brian on the other hand was fascinated & so calm.)


Sometimes in life, I feel that the trials rain down upon us.
And then, I am reminded that our trials are really not that bad.
There is so much worse around us. Today, as I thought about our
boys and their broken bones, I humbly read an article in the paper
about a family who is waiting for a cure for their son who has cystic fibrosis.

Yes, a broken bone for 6 weeks really isn't that bad compared
to a life long illness that can't be treated yet.

For now, we move forward with hope & joy &
even find comfort during our trials. And yes,
we are even able to taste the sweetness of the lemons
that are tossed our way.

This morning I told Hallie we would need to take
care of Jackson today. She said, "What does that mean?"
So I told her I would need her help helping Jackson.
She was so excited to help her brothers. I love how
the boys look like they aren't quite sure they want Hallie
to take care of them. And I love how Hallie has a look
of excitement of taking care of her brothers.


Jackson will get his actual cast on Tuesday. He is wanting
an Angry Bird cast. Maybe we'll have to decorate it with angry bird stickers instead. :)


Posted by Picasa

0 comments: