Nut Family

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Birthday & Blessings



 
 
 
 
Brian & I had the perfect weekend planned for my birthday. We figured that because my birthday was on Memorial Day, there would be lots of traffic & people out, so Brian decided to surprise me with plans for Saturday night, without telling me of course. Saturday he had a project he was working on at a friends house & with only having 10 minutes left to be done he bent down to grab a tool & his back locked up. He waited for about 15 minutes & then our friend came & helped him out to the car. When he came home, I was relaxing on the grass with Landon, and watched him open the door and lean on his level as though it was a cane. I didn't realize how much pain he was in until a couple of hours later, when he was still in bed & could barely move. I told Brian that we didn't need to go out, but that we could just stay in & watch a movie & I could go and pick something up. He told me we "had" to go but he didn't want to tell me why, so I had to pin him down, and make him speak. Ha ha ha -not really. He told me that our good friends & next door neighbors had planned a "surprise" birthday dinner for me!!! I was shocked & started crying. One, because I felt bad for Brian & the pain he was in & how I was going to take care of him & 4 kids, and two, to think that I have such good friends who would do something like that for me. Brian was very confused as to why I was crying, afterall, he was the one in pain & shouldn't I be happy there was a party for me--- aaahhh women! :) Brian had really been looking forward to going & especially helping with the surprise, so we decided to go & everyone was so sweet. It was such a nice & relaxing evening for all of us & helped Brian get his mind off the pain. My favorite part though was helping him get dressed before we left. Because he couldn't bend over, I got to help him put his shirt on, his pants on, his socks, & shoes. Not a very easy task for a husband who is extremely ticklish! At least we were both laughing & having fun instead of being discouraged. For some reason though he didn't want to wear his pants hiked up around his waist like I had dressed him. :)
Brian was so sweet! Sunday night he made dinner for me, and then Monday morning he took care of the kids so I could sleep in, even though he could barely move, and was in pain. We decided to just relax for the day so he could stay in bed since it hurt so much for him to move. The kids gave us great entertainment. I went with Jackson & Hallie to get burgers & shakes & we ate in the backyard and then watched the kids run through the sprinklers. Hallie soon decided she had had enough with her swimsuit & decided to take half of it off. Funny girl! I love how much they entertain us. We then went in for a much needed nap. Brian & I watched a movie & fell asleep & then woke up with Brian feeling really sick. So, I went to my parent house so he could get some rest. My parents are wonderful! They were having a barbeque for Memorial Day & my Mom made a yummy red velvet cake for me because she knew Brian didn't have the energy. They sang to me & had me blow out the candles & I felt so blessed & loved. As I blew out the candles, I had my 3 sweet kids with me, Landon stayed home with Brian, and I couldn't help but think of women who have lost their spouse & how lonely they must feel. I felt bad that Brian was in pain, but at the same time, so grateful that he is alive & that I am able to be with him everyday! My Mom was sweet & had the kids stay at their house so Brian & I could just have some time for ourselves. It was not the birthday that I was planning on, however, it was a very sweet birthday & one that I will forever cherish... spending the day with Brian & family & watching my children play in the sun.

I am so blessed! I have such a wonderful family & wonderful in-laws. My mother-in-law asked me to pick my birthday menu for dinner tomorrow & my mouth is watering for her yummy cooking! I am so grateful to have family that loves me!

A couple of days after my birthday, my friends had planned a lunch for me. Brian & I went to the doctors in the morning where he got a nice cortizone (SP?) shot to help his back & then went to bed because he had the chills- poor guy! I took the kids & went to eat lunch. I have such sweet friends & neighbors.

When I was growing up, I always wanted an older brother or sister to teach me things, or give me good advice. I now feel that I have the older sisters I have always wanted. Heavenly Father has richly blessed me with wonderful mothers & sisters in my life, and continues to bless me now with women surrounding me in my neighborhood. These women are women with strength & virtue. Women who I look to & follow daily. These women are not only my friends, but have become my sisters. I can talk with them, laugh with them, & learn from them. I could sit in a room with each of them & they could teach me so much. They are women who inspire me & love me for who I am & support me with all that I am doing in life. They are women who are always willing to help me when I need it most. They are women who care for my general well being, & the wellness of my family. They are women I can pray with & share my faith in Christ with. Sometimes I feel as though the women in my neighborhood are like an army- fighting for good & for our families. I feel as though Heavenly Father has blessed my life with so many pillars of strengh right now to teach me & show his love for me & His daughters. I know that God has given incredible strength to women to work together & as one in building up his kingdom, and I am so grateful for these strong women that surround me.

I have had such a great birthday week & feel so loved from Brian, my kids, family, & friends. What a wonderful life!

4 comments:

The Everyday Housewife said...

Love ya, Melissa! You are the best!

Nicole, Paul, Ike and Aubs said...

You're amazing Melissa. Thank you for being a wonderful example and friend to all of us.

Melissa said...

What a sweet tribute to your family and friends. They are lucky to have you in their life. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday and I hope Brian is feeling better. Love ya!!!

The Heaton's said...

I have to say we all are very blessed to have you as our friend! I have learned so many things from you! We had a great time with you guys! I told Adam we should do that every month! We could just make up birthdays!:) Glad you had a great day!