Nut Family

Sunday, November 14, 2010

My first 1/2 Marthon! - What I want to remember

I never realized how much training is involved when you want to run a 1/2 marathon! I ran cross country in highschool, but never went more then 4 miles, so to think of running 13 miles total was one of my crazy thoughts, but yet something that was on my "Bucket List". So, after thinking some about it, here is what I want to remember about my first half marathon-
I want to remember:
-running to the end of my street back in April and barely being able to breathe. (we're talking less then 1/2 mile people!)
-running by myself & wishing I could find a friend to run with
-seeing my friend Liz running one night & inviting myself to run with her
-having many wonderful talks with Liz & forming a great friendship.
-running my first 5K (and feeling like I was going to die)
-setting a goal to run 1/2 marathon
-inviting myself to run with my friends Vanessa & Julie in the ST. George half. (yes, I'm great at "inviting" myself to do things) :)
-meeting Julie & Vanessa at the bottom of the center street hill at 4:30 in the morning so we could run up and down the hill- not once, but twice- I thought they were crazy until I did it with them, and I realized how nice and peaceful it is at 4:30 in the morning-yes, I'm being totally serious!
-asking Nicole if she would be my running buddy- and not realizing at the time what a blessing & influence she would have on my life
-running my first 10k with Nicole with her cheering me on the whole way.
-inviting "My Rena" (as Hallie calls her) to run with us & train for the 1/2 marathon
-getting up 4 days a week at 5:30 to go running & be back in time for the kids to get ready for school
-meeting Rena & Nicole at the corner of "the scary house" that I can't walk by because of all the Halloween arms & legs & bodies hanging around the yard in the month of October. (I swear someone was going to jump out and attack me one morning...at least I think I heard something)
-having 5 of us from my ward run together one morning & feeling so connected with them.
-running, running, running- and even running in my sleep.
-not having ANY bathroom problems along the way. :)
-laughing, talking, discussing, & learning along the way
-the HUGE sacrifice that Brian made by having me run each morning. There were many mornings he stayed home a little while longer so he could help with the kids.
-Brian being my biggest fan & encouraging me to do something for me.
-all of my wonderful converstations with each of my friends
-getting hurt (both Nicole & I) 4 weeks before our big race. I hurt my leg- she hurt her foot
-the pain in my back, leg, & behind my knee for 1 1/2 weeks after running 11 miles
-joking that somehow we would make it to the race-even if we had to push one or the other in a stroller. :) (The image makes me laugh) ha ha
-praying & praying that babysitters would work out for the kids and that we would be healthy enough to run
-the miles my shoes have taken me
-running all over my city
-the excitement of going to St. George
-being in St.George with Brian, Paul, & Nicole
-the experience of the 1/2 marathon
-having a blessing before the race, and feeling so peaceful throughout it. I felt so much peace, that I didn't even stress & I knew that Heavenly Father was mindful of how much this meant to me, and how much I had prepared & trained for it.
-running the race with Nicole & Rena & having a BLAST!
-Rena getting sick (coming down with the flu while running) and Nicole and I having to make the difficult decision if we should leave her, or stay with her. We stayed with her until mile 9, and then met her at the end.
-Seeing Alan (Rena's husband) at mile 11 on his bike. Now I know this sounds cheesy, but instead of Prince Charming being on a horse and coming to save the princess, Alan was on a bike & was coming to save his Queen. He stayed by her side until she got on the track to finish the race. I got tears in my eyes as I saw his love for Rena in a time when she needed him most. It showed me the love, respect, support, & devotion they have for each other- and that all couples should have for their spouse.Their actions for one another are a beautiful example of true love.
-Seeing Brian at the end & seeing how proud he was of me & how happy he was for me.
-Feeling like I had accomplished something great, especially when my baby isn't even a year yet.
-The overall experiece of running in a beautiful place (Snow Canyon) with a great friend & as well as the support of loved ones, and learning that when you set your mind to something-ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!

4 comments:

Karen Nuttall said...

Okay, I am just balling! That was so beautifully written! I am SOOO proud of you Melissa!
Love you!
~ Karen

Shannon said...

You are my HERO!!! Wow, what an accomplishment.

Melissa said...

Way to go Melissa!!!! That is a huge accomplishment! Running with friends is definitely the way to go.

canihavethisdance said...

I agree with Karen the post was beautifully written and had me shedding tears! I think you are amazing!!