Nut Family

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had such a great Thanksgiving Day this year! Brian & I decided to invite all of my Mom's family and some friends to our house for a big Thanksgiving lunch. We had a full house- 30 people total. (including 2 babies) The night before, Brian & I were trying to figure out how we could all fit everyone in the dining room. After moving tables around for 30 minutes we found the perfect way. My friend Nicole, came over and helped me decorate the tables and get them all ready - sadly I forgot to take a picture of it, but it was great and we were all able to fit. I think I was so focused on the food that I didn't even think about taking more pictures of everything. So, instead- I will describe what we ate. :)
My Mom told me later that she felt like we had just had a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner. The food was AMAZING!
We had the turkey of course which was perfect- which also means that Brian & I can now cook a turkey! However, no one told us what time to put the turkey in & we wanted to make sure it was done on time, so at 6:00 a.m. Brian and I were both stumbling around half awake with a turkey, onions, & celery in the kitchen- somehow the turkey got in the bag & actually turned out moist & delicious by 10:30 and no one was coming until 1:00. Brian had the great idea to put it in the crockpot & it was warm & tasted so yummy! Next year I think we could probably sleep in until 8:00.
My grandma brought sweet potatoes that were so good! They had pineapples, cinnamon, cranberries and potatoes all mixed in- delicious! My aunt brought humus as an appetizer-yum, my other aunt brought a delicious pumpkin dessert that I had to try again to make sure it really tasted that good, my Mom brought her amazing Thanksgiving fruit salad & homemade rolls- Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same with out these 2 traditonal foods. Nicole brought a yummy southern squash dish that is a traditional food in her family- we all loved it, my sister-in-law brought candied yams & they were everyones favorite, my sister Kaylie made an apple pie that was delicious & my sister Brittany brought a banana cream pie. My aunts friend & her girls brought pies, along with my aunt and uncle & cousin bringing more pies. We had an American Thanksgiving Feast! All of the food was delicious & makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :)
Everyone stayed until it was dark & then with my parents & siblings we all played games & visited- it was the perfect Thanksgiving.
As we all sat around the room, I couldn't help feeling so grateful for all that we have- a wonderful family, a helpful supportive husband, beautiful children, a beautiful warm home, vehicals to get us all here & there, health, grandparents, happiness, laughter & joy, how much each person contributes to the overall group, & most importantly the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am truly so blessed & am so grateful for a day like Thanksgiving to really focus on the things in life that matter most.
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: