I asked Brian if he wanted to take the kids around this year, or if he wanted to stay home with Hallie. In the past years we have both gone out, but this year since Hallie is still little, we decided to have one of us stay home. I love going out, but told Brian I would stay home if he wanted to go. Brian loves staying home, but would go if he wanted me to. So, we both got what we wanted. Brian stayed home & ate the chocolate while I took the kids out to get more chocolate. :)Now, let me give you a history of my families trick-or-treating past... my mom always made or came up with creative costumes for us to wear (which is not the case with me, notice how Morgan's hair is left over from the day before, I figured the hat would cover it, which of course came off after the 2nd house) anyway, back to my history... my mom would stay home with the little kids and my dad would RUN with us from house to house as fast as we could knocking down other little kids that got in our way... okay not really, but he would run with us. I remember going as fast as we could from house to house, and in Texas we would take our pillow cases and go to one of the nice & fancy neighborhoods and trick or treat there. I remember counting my candy at home, and I honestly remember counting one time 40 Reese's peanut butter cups, not the mini ones.. the regular ones. Just to give you an idea of how much candy we got. We would have the time of our lives running, laughing, & getting as much candy as we possibly could. Now, fast forward to last year, when I went trick or treating with Brian, Jeff (his brother) & Brittany (our sis-in-law) and their little girl. I'm thinking we are going to go fast and get tons of candy. As we start walking all of a sudden we are walking as if we are the turtle in the big race. Slow...slowing down...slower, one family starts to pass us, then another, then another. I'm having a panic attack... aaaahhh we're falling behind, they're going to beat us to the end, all the candy will be gone, what will I eat tonight? and so on. I desperatly try to move faster, encouraging them as we walk, my thoughts are "walk now, talk later, walk now, talk later" as I try to pace us. And still I feel as though I am walking with a bunch of Eeyore's, slow & steady, slow & steady. Well, after 2 hours or what felt like 20 to me, we finally get home. The kids have maybe 20 pieces of candy... they're happy, Brian's content, and me... I'm frustrated out of my mind! I almost put on my own costume, grabbed a pillowcase, and ran out the door to get some dignity on the night of Halloween and go and collect the candy my kids should have had... and people say I'm competitive... whatever! So, this year, I took the kids. We stayed ahead of all the other kids (no, we weren't running) we walked at a great pace & I even got a little bit exercise as after the 2nd house Jackson said, "Mom, I'm tired, will you carry me?" So of course I carried him so I wouldn't feel too guilty as I ate candybars later that night. :) We were done after about an hour, and the kids baskets were completly full... they were happy (but a little tired) and I was happy, Brian was happy, although a little sick from eating too much candy. ;) So lesson, learned... I think I'll always take the kids trick or treating. :) Oh, and Brittany, you know I love you. :)
Jackson doing his pose for the camera. This is how Batman fights!
I'm a mean old witch with my hat...aaahhhh... and I ride on my broomstick with my cat...meowwww... my nose is pointed and my chin is too, and you better watch out, or I might scare you.. boo! This is what Morgan has been singing for the past 2 weeks. I asked her why she was wearing a necklace, and she said because the wicked step mother wears a necklace in Cinderella. :)
Our cute & biggest little bumble bee. Hallie was a cute and crawling little bumble bee. All 3 kids have worn the costume, and the hat wouldn't even fit Hallie's head. :)




8 comments:
Your kids look cute! You know, these days trick-or-treating just isn't what it used to be. It's like everyone is getting lazy and SERIOUS trick-or-treating is a thing of the past. I'm glad you are out there trying to do some justice :) BTW, I made that french bread and it was ALMOST as good as yours!
Super cute costumes! I loved your story! It is so true, trick or treating just isn't how it used to be anymore. My parents actually had a kid give the candy back to them b.c he didn't like what they were handing out! WHAT!?!? :)
I was laughing when I read your post! Halloween is one of dad's favorite holidays. Sounds like his tradition lives on through you.
So cute Melissa. I need to post mine...Joey was also a witch.
Love ya friend
love Ali
I think the kids' costumes are fabulous! Trick-or-treating sure isn't what it used to be when I was a kid either! Carson was so tired, I had to carry him home crying. It's funny how holidays are so great in our memories. I wonder if we really had as much fun as we remember?!
ha! that's hilarious! i on the other hand like to stay home with the candy and eat it in between trick or treaters. i'm happy to announce that i still have an entire bag of reeses peanut butter cups that i didn't have to pass out! yippee!
Cute!!
Ya, I saw you sprinting down the side walk with the kids! You definatley looked like you were enjoying it more than they were! hahaha! The kids looked absolutely adorable! Makell has been sing the same song(Im' a mean old witch). She told me she sang it to everone at preschool. You will have to ask Jackson for me. Cute pictures!
Post a Comment