Nut Family

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy Birthday Grandpa Boyd

Today is Boyd's birthday. Tonight he told me that he was 32, but then when I told him that meant he was only 2 when Brian was born, he had to re-think his age. :)
Last night Brian & I took Boyd out to dinner for his birthday. I feel that I am never able to really talk to him because the kids are always around & instead of being quiet like little mice, they sometimes remind me of little monkeys swinging from place to place, so... we decided it would be nice to just go out with Brian & I. We went to Cracker Barrel & had a great time. I told Brian that I bet Boyd would order the "Meatloaf Platter" & sure enough he did, with 2 sides of green beans. When the waiter brought out the platter, it looked as though they had just taken a can of beans, heated it up, and put the ENTIRE can on his plate. It did look appetizing though. :) Tonight Karen was so sweet to make a yummy dinner & we all celebrated with Boyd.
There are many things that I admire about Boyd. Boyd has such a good heart. I know that he tries really hard in life to do the best he can. Boyd & Karen both have been such good examples to me of endurance, and both in individual ways. Boyd has taught me
through his example, that sometimes in life things happen to us that we do not expect, or have planned on. In these unexpected times, the best thing to do, is find beauty and joy, & move forward, even when it may seem difficult. He has taught me that there is beauty and joy to be found in even the simple things of life.
Boyd is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. I know that Brian gets his hard-working skills & professionalism on any job from following after his Dad's example. Boyd has built some AMAZING homes!!!! They are beautiful & it is so neat to drive around different neighborhoods as Brian tells me with pride & respect that "My Dad built this home." I am so grateful that he taught Brian how to work hard with integrity & honor towards those whom you work with & are around.
Boyd is a great Grandpa! The kids love to see him, especially when candy is involved. One of my favorite things that he did was when he came to dinner one night with a package for each of the grandkids. They each opened their package which contained a bag of M&M's with a dollar taped on the back of it. I asked him where my package was, and he said, "Maybe next time." Next time hasn't come yet. Maybe I need to remind him. :)
Boyd loves to fish! It is always fun & a real treat to go to Fish Lake as a family with him & Karen. Brittany & I are always trying to do some sort of prank to Boyd like in the bottom picture. :)
Boyd has a great sense of humor. I like that I can do dumb or silly things that I think are really funny (everyone else probably thinks it's weird) and Boyd just laughs at me & gives me the glory that I am indeed really funny. :) I love to say things to Boyd (while I am trying to be very serious, but really trying to just tease him) that make him think for a minute. He isn't quite sure how to respond, so he pauses for a minute while thinking about what I have just said & finally realizes that I am just teasing him & trying to confuse him. I'm grateful he gets my sense of humor. One of my favorite ways to confuse Boyd is when he asks for something & I do it exactly as he asked. For example, the other night we had icecream. I asked Boyd if he would like any and he said he would like a "little bit" of both Mint Chocolate Chip & Vanilla along with a brownie. Brittany & I always like to team up in these instances and occasionally we can get Brian & Jeff to help out too. So, we all put
1/2 teaspoon of each into a bowl with a big brownie. We topped it off with a very large serving spoon. The look on his face was priceless!
I know that just like me, Boyd is not perfect, however, I am so grateful for him & for the man that he is. I am grateful for what he has taught his children. I am grateful that 8 1/2 years ago he welcomed me into his home without any question & has loved me as a daughter since then. I am grateful for the respect & love he has towards others. I am grateful that he talks so highly of others & judges them for their true character instead of what someone may say about them otherwise. Boyd really is a great man, and I am grateful to have him in my life. Happy Birthday Boyd!

1 comments:

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

Mel who designed your blog??? I love it