Nut Family

Monday, February 16, 2009

The Celebrations Continue

Hallie's 1st birthday couldn't be complete without her own cake to eat! Last night we had both of our families come over for some high-quality entertainment. :)
I made 2 cakes (one for all of the family) and then I divided the other one into one round cake and 12 cupcakes. I set the timer and then Brian & I fell asleep for a quick Sunday afternoon nap. I felt that I was sleeping lightly, because I was listening for the timer, but it never went off! (At least I didn't hear it go off) My mom called and I woke up and realized the cakes were still in the oven. The cupcakes were just barely too brown to serve so they made their way to the nice tall white container under the kitchen sink, and the little round cake... well, I wanted to save it, and the edges were all that were really a little brown, so I cut out a number one shape, frosted it pink, and viola... no one ever knew. :) Thankfully I cooked the main cake when I was awake & aware of what was going on in the kitchen. Hallie didn't like us singing to her, but she LOVED her cake! She ate almost all of it, and quick too. She then entertained us by playing "Peek-a-Boo" with the plate. She is such a fun little baby & always makes us smile.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

The Heaton's said...

I LOVE first birthdays! Soooo fun, especially with the cake entertainment! I think these are one of the few times that as things became more messy the funnier it is:)!She looks like she absolutely enjoyed every crumb! Sweet pictures!

Melanie said...

hahaha. I love this story! i am glad I am not the only one who burns cakes!
wait... I am awake when I do it!

Ben and Darci said...

That's funny, Riley doesn't like being sung to by lots of people either (he totally freaks out). Hallie has the cutest, brightest eyes :) I thought of you and Brian when we were at The Roof this weekend. You were right...it is soooooooo good! The desserts are sinful.

Melissa said...

That is so funny that she doesn't like to be sung to. She is such a doll.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Sooo cute! I love it when they dump stuff on their heads. She is adorable!! Sorry about the cupcakes. Don't you hate it when that happens! I can't even count the many times I've left something in the oven too long. I need a kitchen timer that sounds like a fire alarm. Then maybe I'd hear it!

Rivka said...

I'm so jealous of these pictures. Neither one of my kids would make a mess with their one year cakes. Jack even used his candle instead of his fingers to trace and eat the frosting. A total rip off in my book!

She really is such a cutie!